Most diets are ultra-low calorie diets which achieve fast results, at least for a while. The human body has the amazing ability to lose two to five pounds of weight without entering starvation mode. This is why many of the low-calorie diets seem to work at the beginning but many people hit a wall soon after and losing any more weight becomes increasingly harder.
The body soon enters starvation mode and starts holding onto calories making weight loss hard. When an individual stops the low-calorie diet, the weight often returns quickly and to a higher level than before.
Losing those first three to five pounds of weight can be a great motivator to continue with a diet. The trick is to get past that initial weight loss without hitting a wall. A diet based on sound nutritional and dietary advice will allow you to consistently lose weight every week. Here are some weight loss tips to help you get started with healthy and long-term weight loss.
1. Monitor Your Food Intake. This is the most important tip to achieving long-term and sustainable weight loss. Most people have no idea how much food they really eat every day and would be shocked if they really knew.
By keeping a food diary, you will be able to monitor your food intake accurately and see if you’re overeating at any point in the day. Make sure you also record how much soda, water, coffee and alcohol you drink as well. A food diary is only as good as the information you put in it, so be honest with yourself.
2. Monitor Exercise Patterns. Keeping track of how much and how long you exercise is important if you want to achieve your goal to slim down. If you don’t already exercise, try incorporating some light activity into your daily schedule. Even 10 minutes of walking a day will help you burn calories and lose weight faster.
3. Drink Enough Water. Make sure you’re drinking enough water every day. Many people are chronically dehydrated without even realizing it. Drinking enough water hydrates your body and helps to flush out toxins and waste products through your sweat, lungs and kidneys.
Sodas, alcohol and coffee actually dehydrate the body and have little to no nutritional value, so try to drink as much plain, fresh water as you can a day. Not only will you feel better, but you’ll look better as your skin retains its youthful, fully hydrated glow.
4. Stay Motivated. It can be hard to stay motivated during a weight loss regime. You will feel great during the first three to five pounds of weight loss, but as soon and your progress starts leveling out, it can knock your motivation. It’s best to prepare for this in advance and work out how you will get through this.
5. Set Realistic Goals. Having clear goals about how much weight you want to lose will help you to achieve them. Make sure they are realistic and sustainable. Aim for health and long-term weight loss.
A good way to achieve consistent results is by focusing on a lifestyle goal rather than a specific amount of weight loss per week. You could focus on exercising for 30 minutes and drinking 10 glasses of water per day instead.
Fast weight loss is possible but may not be the healthiest way to slim down. The best way to lose weight consistently is to change a few of your lifestyle factors. However if you need to lose weight fast and go on a low-calorie diet, make sure you do it for no longer than five to seven days.