Before we get started I just want to discredit any myth that women lifting heavy weights will get big and bulky. Women don’t have enough testosterone to get “big”! If you see a woman that is masculine looking and bulky, chances are that she’s taking extra testosterone to get that big.
1. The ultimate fat burner. You may have been told that cardio is the ultimate fat burner, but that effect stops the minute you hop off the treadmill. Build more muscle and you’ll keep your body burning fat all day long. According to one study, adding just two sessions per week of heavy lifting can reduce your body fat by three percent without cutting calories.
2. You’ll look more toned and defined. No one wants to be “skinny fat”. Lifting heavy weights will make you so that you’re skinny and defined.
3. You’ll absolutely burn more calories. During the 24 hours after your weight lifting session, you will continue to burn 100 more calories, by not doing anything. That’s like 10 minutes on a treadmill that you don’t have to run.
4. You’ll lose belly fat. A University in Alabama study found that the women who lifted weights lost more deep belly fat than those who just did cardio. This not only helps you lose your belly pooch, but also lessens your risk of diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and some cancers.
5. You’ll prevent injury. Strengthening the muscles surrounding and supporting your joints can help prevent injuries by helping you maintain good form, as well as strengthening joint integrity.