If you live in a small home, it is possible that you feel overwhelmed with clutter and aren’t sure what to do. Thankfully, even the smallest of areas can be turned into great living spaces. Get rid of the notion that you must have a large house to be organized.
1. Weed out all of the unnecessary items in your home. Many people accumulate things over the years without getting rid of the other items. If you want to make the most of your living space, you must only have items that you actually need or want. You’ll be very surprised to find out how much better you feel just by taking this first step!
- Start with a room and decide what is out of date, broken, or you just plain don’t use? Go through your closets, bathrooms, kitchens, laundry room… There are probably many things you could donate to charity if you just take the time to do it. Go through everywhere you store things in your home and get rid of all that is non-essential.
2. This can be a very difficult step. It is understandable that you may have developed attachments to certain things, or just have a pack rat mentality. In this case, put everything you simply can’t get rid of but just don’t use in a box. Leave it there for one year, if you don’t need anything out of it, get rid of it.
- You will be amazed at how much space this will reveal. Now you have room to organize your entire home, with only the items you actually need.
3. One way you can utilize a small storage space is to purchase under the bed storage boxes. Make sure you neatly pack anything away that you put under there. Remember, don’t fall back into bad habits and shove things here and there in a haphazard fashion.
4. Another great way you can create more space is to add shelves to your walls. Look up and not down for your storage solutions. Put things on the shelves in a neat, organized fashion and you’ll be able to find things a lot more quickly than you could when you were just stacking things on top of one another.
5. Above your garage door is usually plenty of space to build shelves. The cool thing about that is that you can’t see it when your garage door is open. So it doesn’t look cluttered, and people won’t be able to see any valuables you have stowed away.
6. Hang hooks on the inside of your cupboard doors. You can hang aprons, utensils or measuring spoons/cups.
7. If you have a cold storage, or any type of space where the framing is exposed, this is a great place to store things over head. You can hang fragile decorations or something you don’t want tucked away in a bin up high where little hands won’t touch it.
There are many ways you can create storage solutions for small homes. Get rid of everything that is unnecessary and work on organizing the things that are left over. Things like shelves and under the bed storage are perfect for the inside, while lean to sheds are perfect for the inside. Get out from under that clutter today!