1. You can use gentle methods of cleaning your blinds if they are made of fabric or real wood. These materials already have anti-static properties built in them and rarely need an occasional dusting to remove dirt.
- Wipe each slat with a soft cloth or wet dryer sheet. When running the cloth across the slats, wipe each one with the cloth by keeping the cloth or dryer sheet over your fingertips and gently squeezing the slat in between your fingers. This will enable you to clean the top and bottom of each slat at one time.
2. Deep clean fabric and wood blinds by using your vacuum cleaner brush attachment.
- Rotate blinds away from you to close them completely. You will begin working on the top side of each slat.
- Run the brush horizontally along the slats until they are all cleaned.
- Clean the underside of each slat by rotating blinds toward you.
- Vacuum the dirty surface with your brush attachment tool.
3. Clean aluminum or plastic blinds by dipping in a bath consisting of a mild mixture of soapy water. This blinds cleaning method is one of the best ways to remove heavy dirt deposits.
- Remove blinds from their window hardware. Removal is easiest if you pull the cord to completely raise the blinds, then snap them out of their hardware.
- Fill your bathtub with warm water. Add mild detergent.
- Lay old towels down on the bathroom floor.
- Stand over the bathtub while holding the blinds. Gently pull the blinds’ cord to drop the slats into the soapy water.
- Slowly lower the blinds into the bathtub. Quickly pull the blinds up out of the water.
- Repeat the dipping process for your blinds until all dirt is gone.
- Lay the blinds down onto the towels to dry. To enable them to dry, lay them side-by side instead of stacking on top of each other.
- Re-attach blinds to window hardware after they are finished drying.
4. For fabric or vinyl blinds, you may use a rubber dry sponge to remove dust.
A few tips…
- If you wipe down the slats of the blinds with fabric softener sheets after cleaning and drying them, you can postpone the dust build-up. It will also give a fresh and pleasant smell to the blinds.
- When washing wood blinds, do not over saturate the wood. Wipe excess water off immediately to avoid discoloring and/or warping.
- It is good to vacuum blinds often with a brush attachment, but do it across the slats, not up and down.